Dec 08 in Search Optimisation Written by: Harris
When we do a search for “business website design” we see the following link in Google;
You will notice that the URL is reported as:
However the actual URL is:
This demonstrates that Google is intercepting the click, and suggests they are then recording certain details about the click.
- First thing recorded is of course the URL that is clicked.
- Second, in my opinion, is the time spent on the site.
Google could easily measure this to determine if the user found the information valuable. A click on the following next link within a few seconds would suggest to Google that the content was wither not appropriate to the search term, or that the content is not good quality. Either way, the URL would likely be downgraded for that search phrase.
What can a buiness website owner do to keep user on their landing pages?
- Make the META description – descriptive!
- Make sure the content is up to scratch
- Make sure targeted search phrase is relevant to content
- Include lists, images, and other visually compelling content, users generally prefer these to huge blocks of text.